Cold Sores and Eczema

Cold sores, or the Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1 (HSV-1), are a pain in the butt!  And unfortunately for me, I am quite prone to them, especially if I am stressed out or exposed to too much sunlight.  Basically, HSV-1 is with you for life.  Yes, for life. UGHHH! πŸ˜ͺ  An outbreak usually consists of a bunch of tiny blisters near your mouth (or nose as well for me) that are really painful.  The tiny blisters will eventually pop and dry out, leaving a yellow crust.  After, it scabs and the skin usually heals up with no signs of a cold sore ever being there.  One thing to note is that cold sores are HIGHLY contagious...and sometimes, they are even contagious BEFORE the appearance of those blisters!  They only stop being contagious AFTER the scabs fall off.  You have to be very vigilant not to touch it and then other parts on yourself.  Also, don’t share food and NO KISSING (hehe sorry hubby πŸ€ͺ).  The virus then lays dormant in nerve cells until your next episode, which is usually caused by one of your triggers.  I’m not sure where I contracted the virus from, but most likely my mom because she also gets them. Luckily, my dad and my brother seemed to have evaded their wrath and they should thank their lucky stars!  Cold sores are the worst and I don’t wish them on any one!


Recent BIG cold sore outbreak

For me, when I feel an outbreak coming along, I usually feel a tingle on my skin and that side of my face hurts.  Since cold sores grow along nerve endings, the pain is a good indicator that something is coming...although sometimes I’m not sure where the exact location of the eruption may occur.  It’s like a minefield and I’m just waiting for a mine to explode.  When I feel that a cold sore may be on its way, I typically take some lysine.  L-lysine is an amino acid that helps prevent and slow down the cold sore virus.  Some lysine-rich foods are certain meats (like chicken, pork, beef), eggs, tofu, and certain fish (like sardines and cod).  There are also trigger foods too...these foods usually contain the amino acid L-arginine.  When too much arginine builds up, it may cause an outbreak.  Some foods that contain arginine include nuts and seeds, chocolate (😭), corn, and oats.  For me, I think that oats is one of my trigger foods, so I tend to stay away from granola and oatmeal.  Food aside, as I mentioned before, one of my BIGGEST trigger for my cold sores is STRESS.  I swear, stress is really the root of all evils.  When I know that I’ve had a particularly stressful day, I will also take some lysine.  Once a cold sore erupts, it’s all management from there because there is nothing else you can do except wait for it to heal.  During this time, in addition to taking lysine every day, I also put on lysine topically as well. Showering is also a pain because I have to make sure that I wash that part of my face separately, making sure not to touch it.  What I found helpful, was to put a bandaid on it during my shower and when I go to bed so that I don’t accidentally touch it.


Current brand of Lysine that I take
Lysine that I put topically on my cold sores

Now, why do I seem extra worried of spreading it?  That is because of my eczema.  Apparently, the virus can get into your eczema and something called eczema herpeticum may occur.  It’s when blisters start showing up where your eczema patches are, and trust me, it’s NOT a good time.  When that occurs, you usually need to see your family doctor to get a prescription of antivirals, such as acyclovir.  I’ve had it twice in my life and I do NOT want to get it again.  So, in order to prevent that, I make sure to take and apply my lysine even when I may THINK there may be a cold sore coming.  Although they are no fun, cold sores have always been part of my life and I just have to learn to cope and manage it the best way I can.  Let me know if you have any tips on preventing and managing cold sores!  Let’s get those little buggers! πŸ‘πŸ»

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting in some Movement

Welcome!

My 3 Day Water Fast